• Norfolk: 519-426-6170 or 519-582-3579 | Haldimand: 905-318-6623



When you apply for Ontario Works or receive financial assistance through the program, you need to keep us up to date so we can ensure you remain eligible and receive the right amount of financial assistance. This is important since your situation may change over time.


To qualify for Ontario Works financial assistance, you must:

  • be at least 16 years of age
  • be an Ontario resident
  • have assets no greater than the limits set out in the program
  • be in financial need
  • participate in employment activities


To see if you are financially eligible, we will look at your circumstances including your income and assets, living expenses, family size and make-up and shelter costs.

How to Apply

Before you Apply

An application can take 20 to 30 minutes to complete. Please have all family members who will be included in your application with you to provide consent, answer questions, and confirm their information.

You can do even more by creating a MyBenefits account. Save your application and get early access to online support like messaging and document upload!

Have identification and tax documents ready for all family members, such as:

  • Social insurance number (SIN)
  • OHIP card (Ontario Health card)
  • Immigration papers
  • Banking information


The online application for Ontario Works (opens in new window) is available 24/7 and is mobile-friendly. It takes 20 to 30 minutes to complete your application, and you must have an e-mail address to apply online. Please submit one application that includes you along with any immediate family members who live with you.

If you require short-term financial support and are experiencing a crisis, apply online for Emergency Assistance. (opens in new window)

If you have no fixed address, please use the address of the nearest  Social Services office to complete your application.


Tips for Applying Online

When you apply online you will have the option to open a MyBenefits account. Using MyBenefits can help make your application for Ontario Works faster and easier. You’ll be able to:

  • Save and resume your application
  • Submit required documents online
  • Track the status of your application
  • Receive email updates about your case
  • Send and receive messages about your application

Office locations and pop-ups

Open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday:

  • 12 Gilbertson Drive, Simcoe.
  • 117 Forest St. E. Dunnville.

Phone: 519-883-2100  in Norfolk or in Haldimand 905-318-6623 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday to Friday.


You can also call the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services if you would like to apply over the phone.

Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern time, excluding holidays.


This service is available to applicants, members and trustees.

  • An applicant is an individual who has created an account and started an Ontario Works application.
  • member is an individual currently receiving social assistance (someone who has an open case).
  • trustee is an individual who has been legally appointed to act on behalf of a member.


All applicants, members and trustees must have an email address on file with us.

My Benefits on mobile

Health care and other benefits

If you receive Ontario Works, you may qualify for other benefits to help you pay for things like:

  • Starting a job or training
  • Items you need for work (safety boots, for example)
  • Drugs and medical supplies
  • Travel to medical appointments
  • Eye care
  • Diabetic supplies, surgical supplies and dressings
  • A special diet
  • Mobility or hearing aids

Reporting Changes and Income Reporting Statements

It is important that you report any changes to the information we have on file for you as soon as possible. Make sure you report any changes to your contact information, your living arrangements, your income, and your assets. You can report these changes to your Case Manager through a phone call, email, mail, or through MyBenefits.


Income Reporting Statements are used to report any income you might have from employment or other sources and are submitted on the 16th of each month. You can use MyBenefits to report your income rather than submitting an Income Reporting Statement.


Your Case Manager may tell you you do not need to submit an Income Reporting Statement monthly if you have no income to report. You must notify your Case Manager if there are changes to your income at any time.


Internal Reviews

An internal review is an informal review of a decision that was made about the financial assistance that you receive(d).  It is an opportunity for Ontario Works to make sure that the rules were correctly followed for your case.

Read more about Internal Reviews